Thursday, April 17, 2014

Zuzka's new arm balance challenge, how deep should you squat and a chicken soup recipe

Zuzana finally posted her latest arm balance challenge! Yipee - firefly or titibasana, and it is a great one and it's fun to try. You'll simply land on your butt when practicing - other than on your face with some of the others.
I am loving this challenge. The yogi in me can't help it! I love all arm balances. I am hoping she does one legged crow because it is about the only arm balance I simply cannot do at all. Would love some pointers on it. :)

Bodyrock.tv is still repeating some of their other challenges. No news on their latest web-site that's supposed to be coming out - yet. I've had trouble getting to Melissa's FB page. I'm not sure why. I wanted to see if she had any new workouts posted, so I will check again later.

Here is a super interesting article on squat depth by Bret Contreras. http://bretcontreras.com/finding-your-ideal-squat-depth/?utm_source=getresponse&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bretcontreras&utm_content=Finding+Your+Ideal+Squat+Depth%2C+the+Bulgarian+Split+Squat+Solution%2C+Why+Percentages+Fail+Some+Lifters%2C+and+Learning+from+a+Wrench 
Now since I'm in the fitness field, I find this interesting! You may not. But I've got a deep squat myself. I have enough flexibility in my ankles, achilles, hips and low back to squat deep. I've worked hard on my flexibility, but I do know that some of this just comes naturally to me.

I've always also noticed how Zuzka can squat so deep that her butt touches her heels with very little flexion in her spine. This is very rare, is largely due to her anatomy - which is genetic and extremely lucky! Which is why she is a fitness super star. She works hard - very hard, but she certainly has genetics on her side. Sometimes from her comments and suggestions it seems as if she doesn't truly realize just how gifted she is. She has NO idea what it is like to be someone who is completely unathletic. I work with women once a week who seriously will go left and backwards, when I tell them to step to the right. Their athletic ability and body awareness is null!
Regardless, Zuzana motivates thousands of people to get off their couches and move. :)

Recipe for chicken soup!
Ok, this recipe is a bit of a pain, but it is a spread out process, so it's not like you have to slave over the stove for hours.
Do you ever get a whole cooked chicken from the gorcery store, and find that there is lots of meat left on it that is just a pain to get off?
I take this left over chicken, put it in a large pot with just enough water to cover about 3/4 of the chicken. I let it simmer on the stove for about 3 hours. Let it cool one hour, then pick out all the bones and skin. (Most time consuming part).
Put in fridge overnight. The next day all the fat with be at the top and you can scrape it off. You can save it to cook with later, or just toss it.
Put back on stove, add 1 TBSP olive oil, add sea salt, pepper, garlic power and onion powder - as little or as much as you'd like. Add chopped carrots and celery.
Let simmer about 1 hour.
While this is cooking, take 1/2 of a sweet potato peeled, and 1 small parsnip peeled and boil. Once soft, puree in blender and add to broth. Makes broth sweet, tasty and not so watery.
Add in rice or pasta if you want it.
YUM!

I will be posting before Easter a 1000 calorie burned workout so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment